Saturday, February 16, 2008

Support Letter


Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow.”
-Mary Anne Radmacher

It is a dream that stirs in me long before I ever realized it was so. I have wanted to compete for the United States of America, in something...anything. I have been a runner for many years. I ran in middle school, high school, and then on to college, where I ran for the University of Tennessee. After college, I did what society expects from every graduate...I got a JOB. I am fortunate that it came with many great opportunities.

All this time there has been a voice inside me that keeps saying, “There is so much more for you out there and you must accomplish it”. My vision now is to compete on the 2012 Olympic Team. After just my second year of competing in triathlons all over the world, I realize this has become an absolute possibility. I have worked hard to finance my training, and my competitions. I am blessed to have such a supportive network of family and friends. However, I have reached a point that requires me to invest more heavily in my triathlon training in order to achieve the next level of excellence. To ensure that I am on track for the 2012 Olympic Team, I need the ability to train full time and travel to numerous higher-level competitions.

In addition to the everyday living expenses (e.g., rent, utilities, food), there is also the cost of my competitive sport. This consists of coaches, travel, and entry fees, along with training gear. I anticipate that it will take $3000 to $4000 a month to cover all of these expenses. Ironically, the time I need to spend training in order to excel in my triathlon takes away from the time I will need to have available to pay for my extensive training. However, I will continue training and coaching those in the community who are also trying to fulfill their own dreams.

I am writing to ask for your support in one of two ways. First, I am asking you to consider offering your direct monetary support to sponsor me in my path to the 2012 Olympic Games. Such a contribution may be a potential investment opportunity or tax deduction. A second option in offering your support is to consider a corporate sponsorship, either through the business you are affiliated with or through someone you know that might have an interest. This may be either a local or nationally based company. Top athletes are typically funded through such sponsorships. The corporation would provide a stipend and/or equipment to assist with living expenses and training needs. In return, I would coordinate with the business to support and advertise their product or service through my competitions, networking, and travel.

My dream is possible. With a lot of determination and dedication on my part I will make my dream come true. In doing so, I know that I could not be where I am today without the people who believe in me and offer their support. This dream will take a team effort and I ask that you join me and become a part of this team. I would be honored and extremely grateful for any and all the support that you can give me. Please email or call to find out more information on this opportunity.

Dream Big.

Eric Bell
ericryanbell@aol.com

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Good Luck ERIC!!! It was fun seeing you on the boulevard yesterday. We'll go out for some power rides as soon as time and weather allows.
Take care,
Rach

Unknown said...

Eric you are the man!