Friday, May 23, 2008

Memphis in May

Well, I know it has been a couple days since I raced and I have not put up a race report but the reason for lack of putting it up is nothing more than I have been fried on all fronts and just having a tough time keeping up. I raced Memphis In May on Sunday for the 4th race in 5 weeks. I was fried in the middle of last week, had to take a few days off and was really not looking forward to traveling let alone have to go and hurt for 2 hours. My mom who is one of my biggest fans joined me on the trip, which was great. Race morning arrived and in very unlike me fashion, I woke and first thing to cross my mind was do I have to do this, well I get to go it first and fore most, and yes I traveled 6 hours to race and was going to give it my best shot. The race is a time-trial start unlike a wave start, we start at number 1 after the pros leave 20 min before we start the race and every 3 seconds they send you into the water. I was number 375 and it went fast before I knew it I was in the water. I planed to press the swim which I did, but there was a lot of traffic and in fact I was crawling all over people felt like I had a decent swim and then into T1 where I just felt a little sluggish and not in a panic mode like I normally do, but made it out with no problem. Started the bike and at that point I knew I was in for a long day, my legs they just weren’t with me. A guy passed me on the bike like I was sitting still and I could do nothing to respond to him, nothing. I pressed on and had to battle my mind and body the whole race, I was in such bad shape mentally I just was hoping to flat so I could just stop hurting. The bike was complete and then on to the run, this run course is tough with lots of hills. I just knew the guy on the bike that passed me, I had to catch him if I was going to win, I did catch and pass him and overall in the run felt ok, ended up running 33:53 which is pretty fast only one other guy beat me in the run a pro who ran 2 seconds faster than me. I ended up the day as the top amateur and 10th overall. (Went 1:51.20) I should be really happy for to win Memphis in May is a big deal, but I just love to compete and do my best and well, I did my best with what my body gave me that day, but I know I am a lot better and wanted to be top 5 overall, we live and learn. Now I have some down time till Worlds, which are June 7 in Vancouver Canada, and down time that is much needed and will be taken advantage of for sure. I will be in touch have a great Memorial Weekend and remember if you don’t DREAM BIG, what is the use in Dreaming.

No comments: