Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Start Your Engines!!!!!!

Well the season is under way. I raced on Sunday in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. This race was the Talent ID 2012 in which they invited 40 or so of the top Amateurs in the country to race in a draft legal race, the first one of its kind on American soil for age-group athletes. This race was in conjunction with the Olympic Trials, in which I was able to see two amazing athletes win, Julie Ertel and Matt Reed. The great thing about triathlon is that at anytime it can be anyone’s race just look at the fact Matt Reed was the one supposed to not make the team and now one of the two “favorites” Hunter Kemper or Andy Potts will be on the outside looking in. Then we raced on Sunday at 1. One of my good friends Mary Miller, raced in the female race and came in 3rd she’s a stud look out for her, we seem to have hit the tri world at same time and are dreaming big. Sorry, I get side tracked, our race was 750 meter swim, 12.5 mile bike, and 5k run. I was nervous before it started but I just kept telling myself do your thing be the best you can and see where the chips fall. I had a good swim, started on the outside to stay out of trouble which may have cost me a touch but at least I was in the race. I came out of the water with the 2nd pack, there was about 8-10 of us and we got on the bike. I was leading the train to try and get everyone to work together for we were not going to catch anyone as individuals but could put a dent into the 1:15 lead they had on us. And we did, I came off the bike and transition in 6th place about :55 back from the leader. I was hurting and for some reason was having stomach cramps and could not open it up in the run and I was real hesitant, but kept moving up after the first 2.5k loop I was in 3rd and had my sights on the two leaders. I caught second place with a ½ mile to go and just ran out of real estate to catch the leader. He beat me by :15 seconds. I had a lot of fun and felt I ran and did the best I could do. I had a huge supporting cast and as always this a team effort for people there and at home. My team is team Somnium Magnus which is Latin for Dream Big. If your reading this your apart of it and I thank you for being with me in this, I feel your energy and love and cherish your support. I know and feel great things are coming and I believe I will be able to train full-time for that is what it takes to beat and be the best. So now this weekend I race in another big race, nothing like starting the season off with a bang! I am headed to Tampa, for St. Anthony’s which might as well be a world championship race. It will be big, last year I was 3rd in the elite amateur wave and hope to better that this year. Let’s do this. Dream Big!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Killer Eric!!! 2nd place is AWESOME!!! I am very proud of you!!! You have come SO far!
Rach